Welcome Guest ( Login | Register )

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: 1952 Chieftain floor pans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 4:01 pm 

Has anyone replaced the floor pans in their Chieftain? I need to replace mine and heard I can use other model GM pans. One guy said he had to use a break and lots of mods to get some Chevy pans in I read. Any info would be great.

Post subject: Re: 1952 Chieftain floor pans
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:34 pm 

I have also heard of people having issues on using the chevy pans and them not fitting properly, but no experience with them (yet). :)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:10 am 

Hi, that would be me! My labor bills on the rust repair were pretty heavy even with me helping. My car had been "repaired" badly in 1992 according to paperwork I got with it. There was a patch panel on the driver side and then they covered the whole floor pan and trunk pan with bondo and some kind of thick POR type paint.

I had to replace inner/outer rockers both sides and the front floor pans both sides. Rears were like new, oddly. Trunk floor was fine, it was the rear most part of it that was wrecked, full of bondo and the body brace that runs across that back had rotted away.

Don't fall into the trap of Pontiac=Chevy for 49-52. The only exception is the Canadian built Pontiac's that use a Chevy frame and body with different front clip. I didn't know this at the time, and as a result my front pans required a lot of brake bending, and minimal cutting to get them to work. They dont have the large 'sunk' spots in them for the body bolts, so we'll have to work around that. My floor pan braces were in tough shape, but I found no NOS or other ones that would work, so we rebuilt mine.

I got my rocker panels from the rocker king, and took a set that had the holes for the stainless trim already stamped in them. The rear most part of them that makes the bottom of the rear fender "pontoon" was tough, we had to work those over, and re-hang both rear doors on the body to get the lines nailed.

I did see a set shown on Ebay that were for 49-52 Pontiac, claimed as NOS front pans, but they looked nothing like the front floor in my car, so I didn't get them. Was around $600 for all my parts. I had not realized how bad of shape my car was in until we got it blasted and on the body roller.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:43 am 

Sounds like that's not a good fit. Thank you very much for all the info you gave me I might just patch up what I have in the car. The worst part is where the gas pedal is because if water gets in it just sits right there in the low spot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:10 pm 

Yep, i am thinking of restoring a Pontiac Chieftian Convertible 1953. looks good from the outside, rusty of course. inside a mess. no seats, a real rust bucket. dash is complete, needs cleaning up. says 95% complete, all the convertible components are in tact, and has the correct cowl tag and is equipped with factory power windows which is not so common. It needs a new floor completly. Being sold for $2,500. Is it worth trying this project? or is it wasting my time?
I noticed you restored one, and keen to know any tips? I can send pictures for you to tell me what you think?.. Can you post pictures on this forum?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:59 am 

Do you have any pix that show the differences in those chevy pans and what you had to do to get them to fit?

52Chief wrote:
Hi, that would be me! My labor bills on the rust repair were pretty heavy even with me helping. My car had been "repaired" badly in 1992 according to paperwork I got with it. There was a patch panel on the driver side and then they covered the whole floor pan and trunk pan with bondo and some kind of thick POR type paint.

I had to replace inner/outer rockers both sides and the front floor pans both sides. Rears were like new, oddly. Trunk floor was fine, it was the rear most part of it that was wrecked, full of bondo and the body brace that runs across that back had rotted away.

Don't fall into the trap of Pontiac=Chevy for 49-52. The only exception is the Canadian built Pontiac's that use a Chevy frame and body with different front clip. I didn't know this at the time, and as a result my front pans required a lot of brake bending, and minimal cutting to get them to work. They dont have the large 'sunk' spots in them for the body bolts, so we'll have to work around that. My floor pan braces were in tough shape, but I found no NOS or other ones that would work, so we rebuilt mine.

I got my rocker panels from the rocker king, and took a set that had the holes for the stainless trim already stamped in them. The rear most part of them that makes the bottom of the rear fender "pontoon" was tough, we had to work those over, and re-hang both rear doors on the body to get the lines nailed.

I did see a set shown on Ebay that were for 49-52 Pontiac, claimed as NOS front pans, but they looked nothing like the front floor in my car, so I didn't get them. Was around $600 for all my parts. I had not realized how bad of shape my car was in until we got it blasted and on the body roller.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:04 am 

your better off making your own floor pans,